Thursday, September 13, 2007

Quieting the Mind

As I made my list of distractions (as dictated in section 4 of our on-line assignment), I got distracted myself; I saw dust in the corner of my office and realized that my house is a mess. Along with responsibilities at home, I have to worry about the six classes that I am teaching this year, my internship, this class, and spending time with my wife (thankfully I did not forget to mention her, she is little but tough).
All joking aside, as a professional I am distracted by the many things I need to accomplish. A young student may have other more pejorative distractions such as: family problems, identity issues, self-esteem problems, relationship problems and many other mind encumbering distractions that can stifle the learning process. Are student's minds of today too full with worries, technology and other distractions?
In the New York Times article "In the Classroom, a New Focus on Quieting the Mind", by Patricia Leigh Brown, the abovementioned may be alleviated via the use of a Buddhist technique that induces mindful awareness. Here, after a Tibetan Bowl is struck, students are invited to close their eyes, focus on their breathing, and imagine peacefulness, love and kindness. The various students, parents and teachers interviewed claim that this learning activity (that's what I believe it is) is beneficial and improves learning, behavior and respect for each other.
I think this is really cool stuff. Our kids today have a lot going on; some of it may be positive but much of it is negative stress that impedes their ability to learn. This breathing activity can help clear their minds and relax prior to engaging in a learning activity (i.e. math problem solving), which in fact requires a clear and relaxed mind. Our students go from one period to another with 3 minute breaks in between. They have cell phones, jobs, homework and responsibilities on a sport team; give'em a breather! I remember when I used to cry each day before going to school, my mom would hug me and ask me to take a deep breath and hold it for a bit; it always, made me feel better.
Although I have never tried this technique formally, I will try it tonight as well as with my students. On Wednesday my Italian 3 class will be listening to a song; I think that will be a perfect time to try it. As for me, i going to do it before starting the last section of this online assignment. After that, I think I am going to have a large bowl of ice cream as well.
Michael Fullan would totally agree with these techniques. This is a change that improves the way students feel, work together, and respect one another; here, we see a moral component. Also, if it helps students relax and do better in school, it is just good learning. This is also a practice that can help change existing conditions. If everyone in the school adopts this new and fresh yet small technique, it could really improve the culture of a school.
Many may say that this is "stupid", a waist of instructional time and that we should stick to what we do--teach subjects. Thich Nhat Hanh would say we should not be bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology. Why not try something new, I know I am!

No comments: