Thursday, October 18, 2007

UBD REFLECTION 1 Part VI of ONLINE CLASS

Last year, in Principles of Curriculum Development, we learned how to use UBD; our professor suggested that we actually try using it in our classroom. At first, I thought, "Ok, I'll use it...blah, blah, blah...just give me my 'A'". After I got my 'A', I felt guilty and started using it just to keep things honest.

Actually, it was really helpful at organizing my units. I teach Italian 1, 2, 3 and 4; sometimes organizing my thoughts with four different classes to teach can be cumbersome. UBD allows the teacher to see the destination; ergo, he/she can plan the most effective and efficient route that allows for some sight seeing and touring.

I do not use UBD for each lesson but I do use it to plan my units. In stage 1, I have my standards and objectives as well as my over-arching and topical questions. In stage 2, I have my assessment evidence. In stage 3 I have my bag of tricks.

At first, it just did not make any sense; it's like breaking a habit. It's like putting your shoes on before your pants. I tried that too; when I put my shoes on first, I don't wrinkle my pants by bending down while putting my shoes on. Try it people! Planning the destination is like putting your shoes on first. It's weird in the beginning but you don't wrinkle your mind when your activities do not prepare them for the assessments.

It basically works but it can also seem frustrating when you get caught up with fancy boxes and the new way of looking at a unit or lesson.

Just like anything else, it is cumbersome at first but it pays off.

Homework for tomorrow: Everyone, put your shoes on first!

No comments: