Sunday, February 14, 2010

New Cuts...Same Results! Let's continue to improve?

It's funny!

I graduated in the spring of 2008 and immediately began looking for administrative positions. Between May of 2008 and October 2009, I had the pleasure of experiencing over forty interviews at twenty or so schools in front of panels of varying interests. I actually made it to the finals a few times!

That being said!

I learned a few things during that process; they are as follows:

1. The first question is always: "Tell us a little bit about yourself."
2. The second question might be: "Why do you want to work as an administrator in this district?"
3. They only listen to your answers if they liked the first six words that were uttered.
4. People do not always listen; instead, they wait to ask their next question.
5. If you bring a portfolio, 90% of your panels will not ask to see it.
6. If you refer to your portfolio and open it, they may look through in a slapdash fashion.
7. If they do not call you within 36 hours, you 'll get a letter :-(
8. If you are offered the position you better hope that the Governor does not make foolish decisions.
9. Do not discard an entire box of expensive resume paper after your first day as a new administrator.

Well...I finally secured a position as the K-12 Supervisor of World Languages/ESL and Music in a Morris County district; I've been there a little over 2 months. I love it! I am learning a substantial amount about leadership, education, policy and curriculum.

Due to potential/major budget cuts and the elimination of state funding, I may be looking for work soon! Moreover, from conversations with mentors and colleagues, I am not the only one! Yet, I am sure that schools will be held to the same standards of accountability and performance. Will home values continue to "stabilize" with deteriorating schools? Will unemployment percentages ameliorate with thousands of educator out of work? What about the many that are going from the private sector to education? Is the Governor (and all of his lawyer friends) making educationally and fiscally prudent decisions?

I guess it is time for educators to suffer as well! Why should we have job security? We do not deserve it! Property taxes are too high! I wonder if they will lower taxes now? I doubt it!

Good luck to all of us!

No comments: